Thursday 28 September 2023

Day 276 - Digital legacies

 

tech on a grave


Managing my brother’s online presence and accounts has not been the easiest thing. Not everyone thinks of their digital legacy and my brother was one of them. He was not especially privacy conscious – being forgetful of passwords to the extent that I found he had even kept his bank card pin numbers in his wallet.

Many of the accounts I simply closed down rather than informing the website companies that he was no longer living. As soon as I had his Google account and email passwords (the main ones in my brother’s case), I was able to access most of the social media and online accounts. The Tell Us Once service had largely done its job in informing most of the Government departments that he’d died. But I always knew that Ad was much more than just his National Insurance or Government Gateway number. I’m not sure that the Government departments did.

He wasn’t hugely into his tech, unlike me, and resisted any urges to buy crypto or have lots of online accounts. He had those he needed for his work and a few for listening to music or watching things he was interested in.

The email account password was perhaps the most useful thing and the thing I would recommend for people to store and share with loved ones (along, I suppose with your master password and maybe Google account password). I still check the Outlook email and unlike with his redirected post, he will still get emails every day. A lot of them are junk or scam emails from people who really do not care if you and I are alive or dead.

I also manage his website, as I did while he was still alive. He would give me exact instructions of how he wanted everything set up – which images went where and what text to put in. I did all this out of love, wanting to support him. When I suggested I design a logo for him he was apologetic in refusing me – telling me that he really didn’t want to be like every other artist. That idea was scrapped.

I didn’t go around digging into his browsing history after he died. If I had wanted to, I could have seen his whole online life on Chrome, but I thought it best to delete all the searches. I’m pretty sure he never did anything particularly illegal or dubious.

Mostly he would leave scraps of canvas around with written ideas and phrases to go with his art. I already knew he could write, although he had problems with some of his punctuation. So, he would incorporate the writing into his art and I think this worked. He also wrote some poetry and simple phrases which he found interesting. He was a man who followed his interests deeply.

When I was a boy I had similar interests to him, I guess because I looked up to him, and he would always call me a copycat for being interested in reptiles and amphibians too. But because we shared so many of the same interests, it was fun to go on adventures and search for animals. He was interested in computer games as a child, but I remember I was the one who was more interested in that. I once wrote a book of reviews of the games I liked and even swapped much of my coin collection with my brother… in exchange for computer games. He was always the wiser one.

I often think of digital legacy now. All the emails and messages which come through every day and which, to an extent will continue after we die. They just carry on as normal, leaving a red dot telling you that they need to be dealt with immediately (known to advertisers as one of the most effective hooks… and to consumers as ‘the tyranny of the red dot’). Most of them are not particularly important. I check my mobile as much as anyone though, so I’m not going to start going on about screen time. I’m just saying that when you die, all that doesn’t stop, it’s just that click-throughs and replies tend to decrease somewhat.

The website is remaining. I intend to continue to promote my brothers work, if I can. Some of us creatives put some hope in posthumous success, if we have not been as successful as we would have liked in our lifetimes. But it often does not happen. We have to live with that fact. We have our own lives to get on with, but I will try not to neglect my brother’s art.

Take care of your digital legacy.


No comments:

Post a Comment