Thursday 2 February 2023

Day 38 - An obscure grief observed



Since my brother died on Christmas day 2022, I have not prayed.

He died of a terminal brain tumour, much too young. I am missing him already, so much. He was my older brother and we were close.

C.S.Lewis once wrote a book called 'A Grief Observed' in which he documented his grief journey. He memorably hinted that his previous faith and words were 'a house of cards'. But Lewis made the same mistake that so many of us make. He assumed that everyone's reaction to a death would be the same as his. At least that of believers. It is known to the best counsellors that almost any reaction to loss is acceptable, or at least, understandable.

As I say, in my case, I have stopped praying. This has been going on for about 40 days now. I remain a Christian. I'm going to an online church and I'm still attempting to practice what I preach etc. But I'm deliberately not praying. This effectively means, in all conscience, that I can no longer counsel anyone, including you, to pray. I have stepped down from my role of 'actively praying Christian' and am now simply a believer who is in active, conscious disobedience to the scriptures on this issue.

I don't think people realize how hard it is to stop praying once it has become a habit. I was never a massive 'I'm gonna pray all night' kind of Christian. But I would pray, I think, pretty honestly, on occasion. So apologies, thanks, praise, grace before meals and petitions for others are all on hold for some time. Consider it a strike of a kind? Not in service.

So this is my public declaration of non-prayer. I could have done worse things.

I don't think anyone has noticed. Family have largely been grieving too and it is hard for them too. I don't think it has been noticed. It hasn't been discussed. At the funeral, when I was supposed to pray, I simply pretended to.

You may ask a very obvious question. Why have you stopped praying then? But anyone with a familiarity with my writing will know the answer. I will spell it out for you in a short dialogue:

Q. Are you actually stopping praying because you believe that God is somehow partly to blame for the death of your brother?
A. You betcha.

It's a little more nuanced and complicated than that, but that's the main reason. God is currently getting a one star review from me. But I remain a believer.

Now, for those who loyally read my ramblings, you will be aware that I think the question of suffering is irresolvable. God didn't give my brother cancer. But he allowed it. And we're back to square one. Because there was a decision from the Almighty there. The suffering question cannot be resolved and it is part of the human condition to continually want it to be resolved immediately. But, as I have said before, the brightest, most famous... greatest intellectuals, theologians, scientists, writers or psychologists have been unable to satisfactorily resolve the question. No one. Not Descartes, not Dostoyevsky, not Freud. None. Nada. Zilch of them. So neither is this obscure writer is he? 

God allowed it on Christmas day. I read in a book on grief that I am not supposed to inflict my "skewed theology" concerning blaming God for bad things in such circumstances on others. That is why I feel I am having to write with caution. It seems an unnecessary and onerous addition to add to the already heavy load of the grieving to me. It's basically like saying, 'If you are blaming God, don't put that on me or anyone else. Sort your own crap out.' Such things are not entirely words of comfort, but surely they come from a warm place, if you know what I mean.

So what of it? So what? One guy decides that to get back at God, he will stop praying. Who cares? God doesn't need prayers after all, does he? Who gives a damn?

To which I reply, 'If God feels that my prayers are entirely both unnecessary and undesirable... then he won't mind if I cease to pray will he?'

If you believe that there really is such a thing as a war with God then I can tell you for a fact that, one way or the other, Christians have always been heavily involved.

Anyway, I've set out parameters for prayer to resume. I can be bribed back into prayer by the Almighty. Perhaps he is good at bribery along with theft? Of course I have not set those parameters out via prayer, but as he is a thought reader and otherwise invader of privacy, that is not necessary is it?

So, as you can see, I'm pretty sore with the Almighty. Not wise eh? Being as he could 'allow' further bad things to happen? 

There is only one other power who I am even more angry with God than. It's not people in general. It's not the world, or the NHS. It's not even the Government or the cancer (though I’m pretty angry with them too and not unhappy to include them in one sentence).

But say, for example, that there were a power which was not simply involved in my brothers death, but which also found the whole situation - condescendingly amusing, how would a human being react? 

Q. Are you about to say you are more angry with the devil and his demons than with God? You can’t say that.
A. You betcha. And I just did.

Anyway, some of us mortals have to control our anger.

I don't know how long this will go on for. There was a pastor a few years back who publically said that he would become an atheist for a year as a kind of experiment. By the end of the year he was a full-blown atheist and ex-Christian.

I will attempt not to escalate my now silent debate with God to levels which cause any harm to fellow human beings. Hey, maybe I learned the silent treatment from him? 

I don't see why others should suffer for God's choices. Strikes and wars are resolved through dialogue aren’t they? I can still promote dialogue on earth, to resolve wars, as I’m talking with others so practicing what I preach in that. Just not dialogue with you know who.

Why Christmas day? I mean, it is a day which is supposed to be about life and birth and hope and even love. I bet the devil and his demons are still laughing at the irony of that... the violent gits.

Anyway, I'm going to have to be as independent of these massive invisible powers as possible for a season or two. I can't be dealing with them at this time.

Besides which... I simply really miss my brother, despite the much-appreciated support of family and friends.

If you do care, I’m probably still in need of goodwill or prayer, if you’re so minded. Better still, you could buy me a coffee, as so few people actually do that.

Don’t you go dying on me too.

5 comments:

  1. I’ll buy you a coffee any time Nick. Your dad feels exactly as you do xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your brother. It's totally expected that you feel this way. If you felt that 'enough', the 'right' or more prayer would have 'saved' your brother's life but didn't, then it's a common conclusion to wonder if any prayer is useful or useless.
    My father died in an unexpected and shocking way. I felt my prayer life was on hold for probably 4 years afterwards, though it probably wasn't fully active beforehand. I don't believe my lack of 'proper' prayer contributed to my father's death, but I did wonder if I should have made more effort to share my faith with him. My reaction was more linked to being angry about the way my dad died and that this stopped anyone, especially my mum, being able to see his body before he was buried.
    However I was grateful that I'd seen him only a few weeks earlier, when normally I wouldn't have, but also angry at myself for saying something to him I shouldn't have in those few days.
    Grief is shock and horror and love and regret and fear. We hope that God protects us and those we care about. When they die, it challenges us on so many different levels about our lives and relationship with God.
    I still don't understand why things happen and others don't when prayed about, but God stepped into my life at a young age and I am convinced there are many occasions that I would not be here without that relationship. Perhaps, I have more of a fear of life without God than with him. Your post on Facebook made me look back on my posts after that time. It was looking for God's light in the darkness that made me want to keep going (https://faithbites.wordpress.com/2017/01/13/light-in-the-darkness/)
    Grieve as you need to, as long as you need to, but remember there are others around you to support you, and grieve with you. God is also there, whether you find that a comfort or not. I pray that you may find something of him in your current darkness and that will remind you of why you reached out to him in the past.
    Elaine…from olden days of ACW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for being so raw and honest. My good friend died on cancer on Chrustmas Day, in 2021. I've often been haunted by the thought- She would never have chosen to die on Christmas morning. She loved Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many things I don't get. We are told that Jesus came to save us, to save us from our sins and to give us new life. In fact to save us in to new life. We are told that on the behalf of Jesus this was a free gift. A gift that would cost us nothing. We would only have to receive it. Freedom from our sins and new life. Do I read correctly or not.
    During my life I have experienced a great deal of illness. This has elicited much suggestion that I have sinned. Well I must have done, surely. The other option is that I need to forgive. I need to forgive a lot. When I have forgiven enough then I will be well. When I have forgiven enough God will heal me. I'm a sort of gullible person who would believe that sort of stuff. You could tell me that sort of thing and in no time I would have a list together of all the people I needed to forgive and I'd be getting on with it.
    But it was pretty damning really.
    I had a new doctor.,a Christian. What good news. Not at all. He said the same thing, I had made a lifestyle of being abused, perhaps I should go before God and repent.
    I have stopped going to church. I do still pray a bit. I don't find Christians very Christian on the whole. Or is it me. Perhaps it is. Perhaps I should go before God and tell him what a filthy rotten sinner I am. And perhaps I should take seriously this forgiving stuff, but then don't I become my own redeemer. I don't know any more. I don't. Perhaps it's all nothing except just another story, another power game. I don't know. Perhaps it's all a myth this stuff about Christianity being different, because Jesus has done it all and I don't even have to be good any more. Because Jesus has done all that's needed. Something doesn't add up

    I'm inclined to stand with Nick,if God is good, all the time why does all this horrible stuff happen. Or is there an alternative understanding of good, and new life and all the rest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy, was I ever angry with God when my dad died of a heart attack at 59. I was 29, had my first baby, moved away from home, started a new business. I wanted to share all of that with my dad. I yelled at God. I cried. I stamped my feet! I blocked God from my life until I realized I couldn't live without His support. Life is tough when you have only yourself to depend on. My heart goes out to you and your family. I bet your Dad is in Heaven and joyously walking the streets of gold.

    ReplyDelete