Thursday 10 August 2023

Day 227 - Is God unconditional Love or not?

 

Picture of God looking less than benevolent


It occurs to me that these blogs and my reaction to my brother’s death reflect on the character of God. That I am painting an inaccurate picture of the Almighty with my words. That right now – I’m effectively, perpetuating a myth.

In the Old Testament, God often acts angrily and is changeable in character. In the Gospels, Christ is rarely angry and his actions are full of love and mercy. However, in the Book of Revelation, God seems to regress and is back to being capricious again (and doing angry, violent things).

But if God's anger has been fully satisfied by the past events at Calvary, then why do so many Christians talk about God's coming wrath?

I'm increasingly thinking that the gospel is not good news if God really is nurturing an inner, seething wrath. It is only good news if God really is unconditional Love and not prone to the acts of anger detailed in the Book of Revelation and too much of the Old Testament. I had always maintained that Christ is, as he said, the image and character of God – and that he acted in a kind and loving way, unless you want to caricature him. That this is one of the evidences that God is good.

I think it must be a test. A test as to which god you believe in. And I am so tired of tests…
And what does incessant testing say of the character of God anyway?

I'm starting to hope that God really is unconditional Love.

But if that is true, then I don't think God would get angry for people going around saying he is an angry God either. He would just find it extremely irritating, wouldn’t he?

The good news of the gospel is supposed to be that God so loved the world that whoever believes in him will not perish but will have everlasting life. There is a condition there, but, when push comes to shove, the only condition is to believe.

If God is not Love then this is simply not good news. Because a perpetually angry God is one of our worst fears, isn't it? It’s one of the fears which we need saving from.

What I have found is that a lot of Christians go around saying, “Yes, God is Love, but he is also just”. Which is fine, and I go along with that. But then they go ahead and talk about how that aspect of justice within his character is also a good reason for God to be so relentlessly angry with so many. As if he is nursing an inner wrath which can never be placated (never mind satisfied). When questioned further on this they often say, “I don't think you understand how incredibly ‘evil’ sin is and how it MUST be punished by a just God” (leading many non-Christians to reply, “I think ‘sin’ must just be everything that God doesn't like…”.)

I have the same fears that the Almighty is less than loving, and I’ve expressed them here. But I don't think I go so far as to say that any portrayal of an angry God is, in fact, the real gospel. Even though, I guess, I am guilty of perpetuating the same myth (should it be a myth) – of an angry, unreasonable, unkind god. It is just that the evidence from life for this is so persuasive… and, incidentally, from much of the Bible. Brothers dying before their time do not help. Unanswered prayers do not help.

Yet a wrathful God is a bit of a deal-breaker for me.

I'm not seeking another 'violent no-one', no matter how powerful they are. Sure, I can, at times, be deferential to those with power (and anger) on this earth – but must I also obey powerful spiritual entities?

I think I want to know the truth.

Of course, if I go along with this hope that the Almighty is unconditional Love then I have to recognise that it is this character who I am so angry with because of my brother’s death. And if that is true – how would this character react to me and you?

Let me guess…

Angrily?


No comments:

Post a Comment